Are Too Many Eggs Bad For You?
The fear of eggs comes from the saturated fat and cholesterol content and the premise of the lipid hypothesis that’s says that saturated fat and cholesterol are a major factor for heart disease.
Now I’m no medical authority, but given the modern research, I’m not convinced that we haven’t been sold a dud with this one, particularly when you consider these questions:
- Don’t we need saturated fat?
- Isn’t cholesterol a precursor to hormonal activity?
- Isn’t cholesterol essential for cognitive function?
- Isn’t much of our cholesterol manufactured in our cells?
- What about the idea that cholesterol is a marker of inflammation?
There’s plenty of research out there that tells us that cholesterol is actually our friend.
The same goes for saturated fat.
We need them both.
There’s also lots of new information and research that suggests saturated fat and cholesterol are not the issue, sugar is.
You don’t have to look far for many people to agree that there is no link between dietary cholesterol and blood serum cholesterol. In other words, the cholesterol we get from our food seems to have a variable, and some would argue inconsequential, impact on the level of cholesterol in our blood.
The research on statins and the theories around profiteering are frightening.
I eat eggs, whole.
Not too many, as too much of anything is bad for you, but given what I think I know at this point, I view eggs as a great source of protein, fat and other nutrients.
I think that there’s been enough questions asked, and answered, that should cause us to question our negative stance towards cholesterol.
Do your research on this one
Places to start that you might find useful:
- The Great Cholesterol Myth, DVD Jonny Bowden & Stephen Sinatra
- The Great Cholesterol Con, article by Mary Enig
- Good Fats, Bad Fats, book by Udo Erasmus
- The Price Pottinger Foundation
We help our members with a nutritional programme that works for them, if you’re struggling, give us a shout at our London personal training gyms and try out our personal training and we’ll help you work out a plan that suits you.
- Good Carbs v Bad Carbs
- Is Cholesterol Really Good for your Health?
- Do Carbs Make you Fat?
- A Simple Guide to Oils
- Eating Healthily but Not Losing Fat?