Let’s consider our health as a bank account, where certain things need to be ‘paid in’ before we can successfully ‘withdraw’.
Achieving optimal health requires a significant investment.
Things that pay into your health bank account:
- Correct macronutrients
- Micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)
- Good quality air
- Good quality water
These are the only things that you can do in your life to enhance your health, everything else you do takes from these five things.
So, in order to maximise your health it’s important to ensure you have the above five things set up as a ‘standing order’ into your health bank account, so that you regularly get ‘paid’.
Food, water and sleep get a lot of press, so let’s consider air for a second.
The air we breathe day in day out, minute after minute and second after second never usually crosses our minds.
Breathing is not something we consciously think about, it just happens.
But what if I told you that the levels of toxicity we ingest can have harmful consequences on our bodies, especially when striving for better body composition.
The majority of these harmful toxins are somewhat out of our control, as they exist pretty much everywhere we go, especially when living in the city as it can make it very difficult to escape.
There are however, some that we do have complete control over. In fact, we are often the ones carelessly installing them in the first place.
Research has discovered that the two spaces people spend the most amount of time in are cars and the bedroom. How many of you have those little trees dangling from your rear view mirror? Or glade diffusers plugged in around your house?
Avoiding air fresheners and room diffusers can go a long way in reducing toxicity levels.
These pollutants are known as endocrine disrupters and can have a damaging effect on our health. This basically means that they interfere with our hormone system. Endocrine disrupters can be found in lots of everyday products including plastic bottles, cosmetics, foods and pesticides.
So, what do they actually cause?
Endocrine disrupters have been found linked to certain cancers, lowered fertility and an increase in incidences of endometriosis.
So, what can we do to get rid of these disrupters?
- Trade in your vinyl shower curtain for an environmentally friendly fabric one that won’t pollute the indoor air
- Listen up girls…Always opt for Phthalates/Paraben-free un-fragranced cosmetics (shampoo, body wash, moisturiser, make up etc.)
- Buy a high quality, high power vacuum and one that is well sealed to avoid exposure to dust and dirt when emptying
- When it’s time to upgrade the mattress opt for a healthier one like a futon or untreated mattress rather than a memory foam
- Get your electronics out of your bedroom! They are often covered in endocrine disrupting flame retardants. Put them in a well-ventilated room instead and enjoy a better nights sleep!
A member said a really poignant quote to me during her session yesterday when discussing health …
I spent the first half of my life not caring about my health and now I’m spending the second half trying to regain it back
Start now by putting these simple tips into action and continue to invest in your health bank account.
Our mission is to help people live their best lives outside of the gym by providing the best possible standards of personal fitness training in the gym.